According to the Harvard Business Review, when asked about customer satisfaction, 84% of North Americans say that their expectations had not been exceeded in their last customer service interaction. That’s a pretty high number. And it isn’t the only number we’ve run across that leaves us a bit concerned. Customer service is the name of the game for 2017, and retail customer service statistics are your gameboard.
So, it’s time for some retail 101. Here are some retail customer service statistics to whet your appetite for numbers – and hopefully give you some encouragement when it comes to boosting your customer service levels.
Poor customer service:
- 54% of customers share bad experiences with at least people. (Zendesk)
- 48% of people who had negative experiences told 10 or more people about them. (Harvard Business Review)
- 55% of consumers who intended to make a purchase backed out because of poor customer service. (American Express)
Good customer service:
- 87% of customers share good experiences with others. (Zendesk)
- 33% of customers share good experiences with 5 or more people. (Zendesk)
- 52% of consumers have made more purchases from a company after having a good customer service experience. (Zendesk)
- 66% of customers said that they would spend more with a retailer for improved customer service. (Salesforce)
- 75% of customers have spent more due to positive service interactions. (Salesforce)
When it comes to switching:
- 40% of customers begin purchasing from a competitor because of their reputation for great customer service. (Zendesk)
- 53% switch because they feel unappreciated. (NewVoice)
- 42% switch because they are put off by rude or unhelpful staff. (NewVoice)
- 29% switch because they are annoyed by a lack of employee knowledge. (NewVoice)
When it comes to boosting customer loyalty, there are a number of tips to take to heart. Make sure shelves are stocked (customers don’t like having to ask), line-ups are reasonable (customers don’t like having to wait), and make sure that any inquiries/requests/complaints sent your way online are answered (customers don’t like being ignored).
A strong, well-executed retail strategy is a great way to boost customer service, engagement and loyalty. Use these retail customer service statistics to develop a plan. Storesupport can help. Get in touch today by calling 1 877 421 5081.