The increasingly competitive consumer packaged goods environment in Canada has led to many stores taking significantly important steps in an attempt to distinguish themselves from their competitors. This has resulted in some exciting new retail merchandising trends that seem to be incredibly effective. With the holiday season right around the corner, what better time is there to employ some of these strategies to increase sales during what is arguably the most important time of the year?
Retail Merchandising Trends for December 2014:
- Less is more. A few years ago the trend seemed to be that busy was beneficial, but that seems to have changed dramatically. Now simplicity reigns supreme and retailers across the country are going for a far more minimalist approach. This doesn’t mean fewer displays though, it means displays that just don’t have too much going on. A strong focus or a central theme that is easy to understand with just a quick glance, as well as one that attracts attention at the same time, is a great way to influence buying behaviour.
- Eco-Friendly. The holidays can be a major downer when it comes to being eco-friendly, but that doesn’t mean that shoppers forget about the environment – so neither should you! Highlighting, as much as possible, your concern for the environment through your visual merchandising can garner huge support and therefore brand loyalty.
- Appeal to the senses. A one-dimensional display just doesn’t garner the attention it used to. Instead, get digital, and create an interactive experience that customers will remember. Use colour to draw on feelings of sentimentality. Touch screen displays that get customers thinking about various products can work wonders.
- Getting social. We all know how important it is to illicit a response both inside and outside your store, and social media has become an incredibly effective way to do this. A great trend for December 2014: create your own trend. Start a Twitter frenzy with a hashtag that gets people talking. Stimulate a buzz by marketing you promotions on all of your social networks.
- Recognize generational differences. One of the biggest retail merchandising trends, and not just for December, is recognizing and using generational differences in your merchandising strategy.
Which if these, or other, retail merchandising trends are you using this holiday season?
For more about retail merchandising trends for December 2014, or to get one started in time for this holiday season, please call Storesupport Canada today at 905.847.6513.